A MESSAGE FROM OUR LEAD PASTOR ABOUT CORONAVIRUS:
Our Awakening Church leadership team has been following the news of the Coronavirus with great diligence.
As a church community that exists to connect people with God, each other, and our world, you can rest assured that we are taking your best interests into consideration as well as the requests of our government and health care professionals. All the while, we are putting our trust in our Almighty God!
We want you to know we love you, your families, and the people of Colorado Springs, and we want to do what we can to encourage your safety and health. While we are diligently taking steps this week and in the weeks ahead to provide a safe and welcoming space for us to gather in worship, we do so knowing that as Christ-followers we’re called to lives of faith, placing our confidence fully in the Lord as the ultimate source of our security.
Currently, Awakening Church will be open this Sunday for our 10 am service. We encourage you to to join us if you feel healthy to do so. If you are 65+, do not feel well, or are immunocompromised, we will continue to offer a live online service through our website (www.yourawakening.org) as well as post the sermon on Awakening’s website and Facebook page, and we encourage you to join us there.
This Sunday we will continue our series on the Red Letter Challenge, and the message will remind us that we get the privilege to partner with the King of the Universe to serve one another. These current times give us a huge opportunity to serve and love those around us: some who are operating out fear. We can reassure others and remind them to trust and lean on Christ during this time.
While we aren’t driven by worry, we want to be wise as well. Please be mindful of guidance from local health agencies.
PRACTICAL STEPS WE ENCOURAGE YOU TO TAKE:
1. Stay at home when you are sick.
2. Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
3. Cover your sneeze or cough with a tissue or your arm.
4. Get in the habit of not touching your face.
5. Skip handshakes and hugs for the time being, in favor of a friendly wave or smile.
6. Don’t wear a mask unless you’re sick.
7. Contact your doctor right away if you think you may the virus.
8. If you have traveled to a virus hotspot, such as South Korea, Iran, Italy, China or Japan, we urge you to consider refraining from attending any church events until 14-days have passed.
9. If you or someone you know tests positive for the virus, please let us know so we can find ways to help, pray and take any necessary precautions.
PRACTICAL STEPS WE’RE TAKING TO KEEP OUR CAMPUS CLEAN AND MINIMIZE RISKS:
1. We’re increasing our cleaning and sanitizing schedule for frequently-touched surfaces in areas for both kids and adults.
2. Our staff and leaders will wash their hands frequently, stay home if they are sick, and follow all the precautions noted above.
3. Although thoroughly washing your hands is the best approach, we will also provide additional hand sanitizer for everyone to use.
4. As is our regular practice, the toys provided in our early-childhood rooms are sanitized before service.
5. We’ll receive communion and offerings in ways that minimize risk. You may also want to consider giving online as a great way to keep up with your faithful contributions to the ways God is working through Awakening Church. If you’d like to give online, you can do so at our website (www.yourawakening.org).
TRUTH TO STAND ON:
Psalm 91:5-7 | You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day, nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness, nor the plague that destroys at midday. A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right hand, but it will not come near you.
Psalm 91:10-11 | No evil shall befall you, nor shall any plague come near your dwelling; for He shall give His angels charge over you, to keep you in all your ways.
Luke 12:25-26 | Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to your life? Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest?
John 14:27 | Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.
2 Timothy 1:7 | For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.
We hope you’ll join us in praying for all those impacted by the virus. We’ll continue to be vigilant, prepare for contingencies that might arise, and monitor developments in real-time. We’ll keep you posted if further measures become necessary in the weeks ahead. No matter what comes, let’s press on in loving well and serving our community together.